Your photos, your videos, your contact details; what don’t you keep on your smartphone these days? Is there a new smartphone waiting for you, or do you just want to be on the safe side? Then it is useful to make a backup. In this blog we explain how to backup your iPhone.
A backup: what is it anyway?
If you have an iPhone, it is convenient to use iCloud for this. It is wise to make regular backups. Because, what’s in a backup iPhone? This includes your photos, videos, contacts, apps and other data.
Even if you switch to another device, iPhone or not, it is useful that you can easily put all the information that you find important on your new phone.
What about your iCloud? Get everything ready for your backup
iWatts? Have no idea what you actually store in your iCloud, or how you use iCloud in the first place? We are happy to help you on your way, so that you are completely ready for the backup.
What is iCloud and what does it cost?
First of all, it’s good to know what iCloud actually means. Because iCloud is Apple’s digital external memory, where you can safely store all kinds of files, photos, videos and backups and keep them up-to-date.
Apple gives you 5 GB of storage as a gift, do you want more storage space? Then you can buy extra space for a small amount per month. 50 GB is enough for most people.
How much does that cost?
- 5GB is free
- 50 GB is € 0.99 per month
- 200 GB is € 2.99 per month
- 2TB is €9.99 per month
Activate and check iCloud
Now that you know what it costs and what it means, you can check whether your iPhone already uses iCloud and whether you might want to change settings.
- Click on ‘Settings’ and click on your name.
- Don’t see your name? Then click on ‘Log in to your device’ and then enter your Apple ID and password.
- Logged in? Then click on ‘iCloud’.
- A list appears with all the apps that back up to your iCloud.
- Click Show All to see the list of all apps synced to your iCloud.
How do I back up?
There are several roads that lead to Rome; there is not one method to back up your iPhone, thankfully there are several. This way you can make a backup via your iCloud, which is the fastest and most logical route.
But you can also make a backup using your iMac or MacBook, or your Windows PC or laptop. How? We explain this below per method.
Back up with iCloud
This method is really the favorite of this list. Because making a backup with your iCloud is not only very practical, but also quick and easy.
That’s why we show you how to use your iCloud in the paragraph above. Time for the backup:
- Click on ‘Settings’ and click on your name.
- Select “iCloud” and then “iCloud Backup”.
- Now turn on iCloud Backup.
- From now on, your phone will automatically back up every day.
- Prefer a manual backup? Then click on ‘Back up now’.
Are you curious about which backups you have on your iCloud?
- Then go to ‘Settings’ and click on your name.
- Click “iCloud” and “Manage Account Storage.”
- Select ‘Backups’.
- Do you want to delete a copy? Then click on ‘Remove and disable’.
Back up with iMac or MacBook
Prefer to bypass iCloud? Then you can also make a manual backup with your iMac or MacBook. Cable at the ready!
- Connect your iPhone to your iMac or MacBook with your cable.
- Click “Finder” and select your iPhone.
- Click on ‘General’ at the top of the screen.
- Click “Back up all data on your iPhone to this Mac.”
- To encrypt all data in the backup, click ‘Encrypt local backups’.
- Then click “Backup now.”
Don’t have a cable nearby? Don’t worry, thanks to WiFi you can also connect your phone and your MacBook (or iMac) via ‘synchronization with WiFi’.
Back up with your Windows PC
Don’t have an Apple laptop or PC? Fortunately, you can also make a backup via your Windows laptop or PC. Curious how that works?
- Connect your iPhone to your Windows laptop or PC with your cable.
- Open the iTunes app on your PC and click the iPhone button on the top left.
- Then click on ‘Overview’.
- Click on ‘Backups’ and on ‘Create backup’.
- Then click “Encrypt local backups” and choose a password.
- Click on ‘Set password’.
Want to see all the copies you have on your PC?
- In the iTunes screen, go to the iPhone button.
- Click ‘Edit’.
- Select ‘Preferences’ and click ‘Devices’.
Don’t have a cable nearby? Don’t worry, thanks to WiFi you can also connect your phone and your Windows PC or laptop via ‘synchronization with WiFi’.
Use your iPhone backup on your iPad?
The big advantage of using multiple Apple products is that there are also several options for using the devices and having them connected.
For example with your backup or backup. Here’s how to restore and use your iPhone backup on your iPad.
However, not all apps and files that you have on your iPhone can also be opened on your iPad.
This mainly concerns apps that are not suitable for an iPad. Are you only interested in photos and videos? You can find all of these in your iCloud.