You can do almost anything with your phone these days. Like, keep all your cards on it. You don’t even need your debit card anymore! But what about your public transport chip card? Probably also a pass that you often use. I’ll tell you if you can put your OV chip card on your phone.
Your OV chip card on your phone: is that possible?
Unfortunately, you cannot use your public transport chip card on your phone to make it. But that doesn’t mean you can’t check in with your mobile. Checking in on public transport with your smartphone is very easy and fast. You do this with OVpay and your bank card. I explain below how this works.
This is how OVpay works
With OVpay you can check in and out without an OV card. In all public transport. You do this with your phone, debit card, or smartwatch. This works with NFC. You hold it in front of the gate and you’re done!
For example, checking in with your telephone at the NS is very fast. Even when you travel by bus, metro, or other public transport, you are checked in in no time.
Good to know: if you have a (discount) subscription on your OV-chipkaart, such as a student travel product or an off-peak season ticket, you cannot yet use OVpay.
This is only possible if you travel second class and without a discount.
With which debit cards do you check in and out?
Checking in and out on public transport works with these bank cards:
- A debit card from ABN AMRO, ASN Bank, bunq, ING, Knab, Rabobank, RegioBank, or SNS.
- A credit card from Mastercard and Visa (issued by ICS, among others).
- A debit or credit card from Maestro, V PAY, Mastercard, or Visa.
- A debit card on your mobile that is linked to your account.
Make sure you have turned on contactless payment in advance. And remove your card from your wallet before checking in. This prevents you from accidentally checking in with the wrong pass.
What is useful about OVpay?
An OV chip card digital is therefore not possible, but OVpay works almost as easily. Let me list a number of advantages for you:
- You do not need to purchase a new public transport card if you only occasionally travel by public transport.
- You no longer need to top up the balance of your public transport card.
- It doesn’t matter if you forgot your public transport card.
- You don’t need an account anywhere.
The OVpay app
You do not need anything else to check in and out with your telephone or debit card. However, there is a handy OVpay app.
Here you can see whether the check-in and check-out went well. And you see all your ride and travel costs in an overview. Up to 18 months ago.