First world problem: you accidentally deleted very important WhatsApp messages. Such as declarations of love from your lover or important information that you should not forget. Or maybe even entire chats. And you haven’t backed up your chat history either. Drama. What now?! No worries, you can usually recover your deleted WhatsApp messages without backup. Check here how!
Retrieve deleted WhatsApp messages without backup
Okay, so you deleted apps that you didn’t really want to lose. That is of course not quite the intention. Fortunately, there are some tricks that will allow you to recover your messages. Here it comes:
Retrieve deleted WhatsApp messages without Samsung backup
How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages without backup? Do you have a Samsung phone or another phone of Android? Then you can retrieve your WhatsApp history with a file manager. You can download this in the Play Store. This is how it works:
- Install a file manager (eg ES File Explorer).
- Open the app and find the WhatsApp folder in the internal memory or on your SD card. The folder is called ‘/WhatsApp/databases’.
- Can’t find the folder? Then manually search for ‘msgstore’ and then look for files with this name: ‘msgstore-yyyy-mm-dd.1.db.crypt12’.
- Choose the folder with the date to which you want to restore WhatsApp and change the name to make it look like a recent file (change the date to today’s).
- Remove the WhatsApp app from your phone.
- Reinstall WhatsApp from the Play Store.
- Complete the installation and verify your phone number.
- Click ‘Restore’ when asked if you want to restore a backup.
- Your messages and photos will now be restored!
Retrieve deleted WhatsApp messages without iPhone backup
Do you want to retrieve WhatsApp conversations on your iPhone without backup? Unfortunately, that is mega cumbersome.
There are third-party programs for this, but not all of them are reliable. So watch out, because before you know it you will have some annoying virus on your telly. And you don’t want that!
The best thing you can do is double-check that you didn’t have the automatic backup feature turned on after all. WhatsApp often makes a backup copy of your chats and media in iCloud every week.
- Open WhatsApp.
- Go to ‘Settings’ and tap ‘Chats’.
- Tap Backup Chats.
- Do you see a backup? thank god! Then follow steps 5 to 9 above.
Don’t see a recent backup? Unfortunately, the deleted messages cannot be retrieved… If it was really important information, it is best to ask the other person if they can resend it to you.
Want to avoid losing your chat history? Fix immediately that WhatsApp automatically makes a backup copy every so often.
If something goes wrong by accident, or you buy a new phone, all your very important apps can be retrieved in no time.
Back up to Google Drive
Do you have a Samsung, OPPO, Xiaomi, or other android phone? Then you need to set WhatsApp to back up to Google Drive. Goes super easy!
- Open WhatsApp.
- Go to ‘More options’ (the three dots) and tap ‘Settings’.
- Tap ‘Chats’ and choose ‘Chat backup’.
- Choose ‘Back up to Google Drive’.
- Select how often you want backups to be made.
- Select the Google account to which the backup should go.
- Tap “Backup over” to choose the network to back up to.
Back up to iCloud
Of course, you can also set your iPhone to automatically make a backup. Fix yourself like this:
- Open WhatsApp.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap ‘Chats’ and ‘Backup chats’.
- Choose ‘Auto. backup’ how often you want a backup to go to iCloud. This can be daily, weekly, or monthly.
Delete WhatsApp messages
Of course, it’s never chill if you delete messages that you actually wanted to keep, but sometimes you do want to delete an app.
For example, if you sent something awkward to the wrong person. Oopsie. Fortunately, you can easily delete sent WhatsApp messages. Phew, my stress level is down!